Documenting Launchpad for Ubuntu users

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 20 17:24:32 UTC 2006

Matthew Revell wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> For anyone that doesn't know me, I work for Canonical on the Launchpad
> team.
>
> I'm planning a thorough re-write of all the Launchpad docs and have
> noticed that Launchpad doesn't make much of an appearance in the Ubuntu
> docs. If I'm missing something, please point me in the right
> direction :)

I don't think you're missing much. I included a little bit in the Ubuntu
Packaging Guide about bugs, but nothing significant. We had intended to
add a little bit to our "Contributing to Ubuntu" doc, but to be honest I
felt like Launchpad was too much of a moving target to do very good
documentation. Even with the small part about bugs in the Packaging
Guide I've had to update it a few times as LP changes features or UI.

> As Launchpad is a reasonably important part of the Ubuntu world, I'd
> like to offer my time to write some materials that will help Ubuntu
> users.
>
> I plan to produce a number of non-Ubuntu specifc guides, including:
>
> - filing a first bug
> - translating software into your language
> - creating your own Launchpad account
> - asking for help.

Awesome. Launchpad is indeed the most important tool we have in Ubuntu
from a developers point of view. In the past I've mentioned documenting
it and was basically told that the UI should be good enough that it
shouldn't need documenting. I understand the argument that you shouldn't
make up for a horrible UI by documenting the heck out of it, but there
will obviously be a middle ground with something as complicated as
Launchpad.

> I think that Ubuntu specific versions of these, along with a general
> overview of what Launchpad is and why Ubuntu users might be interested
> in it, would be useful in the web-based documentation and perhaps also
> the in-system help.
>
> I'd love to hear what you think and if you. Don't worry, I'm not asking
> for any extra effort on your part. I'll do the necessary work, but you
> are very welcome to be involved if you choose to.

Sounds great. Thanks for wanting to do this. I've wanted to see good LP
documentation for some time now. I look forward to it and if I have time
I'll try to help out where possible.

-Jordan Mantha