wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareEquivalents

Jon Pruett montanamax at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 1 18:52:00 UTC 2006

I'm new to the group and starting to port over the pages in the old https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CategoryDocumentation to the new community wiki. The technical process makes sense to me (I did a couple simple pages last night), but I have a question that is more content related.

Should the SoftwareEquivalents page and it's branches be ported even though they are on the CategoryDocumentation list?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareEquivalents

That page has the following branches populated to a varying degree with information -

SoftwareEquivalentsBusiness (1 item)
SoftwareEquivalentsCAD (3 items)
SoftwareEquivalentsElectronic (really a list of specialized Linux CAD applications without Windows equivalents)
SoftwareEquivalentsInternet (7 lines, most items mentioned in other parts of the community wiki)
SoftwareEquivalentsMisc (1 item with an existing dedicated community wiki page)
SoftwareEquivalentsMultimedia (3 items with a very well built, dedicated community wiki page)

My concern is for duplication of information and confusing of end users. I'm leaning towards "yes, we should port the pages not in their current format". I think the main Software Equivalents page could remain as it does have value for new to Linux users understanding what new applications they can use to solve current needs. But I think the page should be made more of a jumping point to existing wiki pages such as https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultimediaApplications and create new pages for things like the CAD software.  I think this could be more productive than listing of one for one "old application vs new application and fit better into the community wiki style and format.

I wanted to get feedback/direction/ideas from the team before proceding. All polite feedback is appreciated, flames cheerfully ignored. :)

Thanks,

- Jon "MontanaMax" Pruett

-|                There is serenity in Chaos.
-|            Seek ye the Eye of the Hurricane.
-|      Montana Max - Illegitimi non carborundum!