Lulu

Brian Burger blurdesign at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 05:47:59 UTC 2006

On 4/22/06, Venkat Raghavan V.C. <venkatraghavan at gmail.com> wrote:

> <snip>
> > > 4. Colour - do we want to include colour in the pdfs? It costs a
> certain
> > > amount extra per colour page, so we might want to think about limiting
> > > it to black and white, except for the cover page. If so, we might need
> > > to have a look at some alternative admonition icons (possibly the art
> > > team could help us with those too)
> > >

> > We can do the whole thing in colour, it will cost $0.15 US per colour
> > page. It would work out to about $16.53 US for 80 colour pages (for
> > example). If we were to do this maybe we could limit it to only the
> > Desktop Guide?
>
> I don't really see a point with the color pages as it doesn't add
> anything to the usage of the book. (Colors are pretty, but since they
> can't click, it doesn't matter). A colored cover might be nice though.

A coloured cover comes with every book, it looks like.

To that end, I've been messing around in Inkscape - some of you might have
already seen these on #ubuntu-doc:
http://www.warbard.ca/temp/Ubuntu_Lulu_cover_draft_orange2.png

I did one in tan-and-brown, too:
http://www.warbard.ca/temp/Ubuntu_Lulu_cover_draft.png

... but the orange-and-tan looks better, I think.

These are in SVG from Inkscape originally - I'll post the SVG if anyone
wants to poke at it themselves. They're 6"x9", but currently without the
extra bleed that Lulu mandates for cover art - that'll be trivial to add to
the final version, though.

Brian/Madpilot