Lulu

Brian Burger blurdesign at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 01:01:24 UTC 2006

On 4/22/06, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 21:08 +0100, Matthew East wrote:
>
> > 5. PDFs - some refining still needs to be done on the pdfs, like
> > including subsection numbers and playing around a bit with the fonts.
> > Any suggestions about formatting of the pdfs, please let me know.
>
> Here is a test pdf in 6x9inches: http://mdke.org/ubuntu/desktopguide.pdf
>
> Comments about the formatting please! At some stage I'll try printing
> some of it, that will no doubt turn up some issues.
>
> Known bugs: footnotes are overlapping with the main text. I also don't
> like the font in general terribly much. It is "sans-serif", I know
> nothing about fonts so any suggestions are welcome.

Some random comments:
- on the font thing: serif fonts (BitStream Vera Serif, MS Times New Roman,
etc) are often easier to read in print than sans-serif ones. The reverse is
sometimes true of screen fonts, because monitors are so incredibly low-res.
It's also worth noting that O'Reilly uses a seif font through all their
books - always steal ideas from the best! ;)
- there's a lot of single lines (widows) at the tops of pages in the current
PDF. Some orphans (single lines at the bottoms of pages) too.
- the words that are actually links don't need to be underlined, the
footnote # is probably enought to point them out.
- in Chapter 5 (Getting More Help) - could we put the actual URLs of the
sites mentioned right next to the name? In that section, the URLs aren't
just footnotes, they're the whole point of the chapter.

My $0.02,

Brian/Madpilot