New web based docbook editor project (was Re: Helping your documentation effort.) sec=unclassified

Stoffers, Robert LAC Robert.Stoffers at defence.gov.au
Thu Apr 20 01:48:22 UTC 2006

> Something similar to Docbook:collab in Joomla?

Looks interesting, I'll check this out tonight.  It's done in PHP though, I was aiming for a Python-based solution.

> Here are a few links that you might want to take a look at:
> DocBookWiki http://doc-book.sourceforge.net/homepage/

I've checked that one out but it looks old and dated, the Makefile is horrid and I noticed several security issues. Just to get this one to work I had to debug a C program within it. Several good ideas here though.

> SilkPage http://silkpage.markupware.com/

Haven't had much time to look at this one, however it looks like this is simply a CMS built around Docbook and not an editor as such.

> Another project worth looking at is Borges which is used by Mandriva
> to maintain their documentation.

Took a quick look at the demo and couldn't work out how to actually edit documentation via a web browser using it. Will take a closer look tonight.

I rather dislike Java personally, every Java application I've ever used has been slow and bloated. That said, I must admit I'm not familiar with this programming language either.

I run a Moin-based wiki over at http://www.debianguide.org which has been around for some time (a lot of it was contributed back to the official Debian wiki when it came into existence). I haven't played much with the Docbook export features of Moin, but I don't feel this is a great long term solution (it is still very labour intensive to get it into the repo, check it, etc).

My solution will allow controlled, easy management of user contributions directly to the "official" documentation, requiring much less manual work then exporting/importing from Moin to the Subversion repo. It will also allow people to sign up (via Launchpad integration) and be assigned roles such as Contributor (submissions are held in a cue), Author (can commit), Maintainer (can commit, roll back, approve/reject submissions by clicking a button) and Administrator (full access). I would also like to integrate with Rosetta to make translations much easier to manage too.

Stand by for some comments on the previously mentioned wiki pages (BetterWikiDocs etc) soon.

Regards,

Robert Stoffers