[dapper] xreflabel considered harmful

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 15 14:48:54 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I've just realised (thanks to a translator pointing it out) that the
presence of xreflabel in section tags in the documents is a bad thing
for translations: this doesn't get translated and so all the <xref
linkend> links will have English text. If we remove all instances of
xreflabel, all will be well, and the links will have translated text.

To give an example of the changes that need to be made:

<sect1 id="codecs" xreflabel="Multimedia Codecs" status="complete">

Will become:

<sect1 id="codecs" status="complete">

Please could each document maintainer grep through the source and remove
all of these? I've done it for the Ubuntu Desktop Guide, and I'll do
About Ubuntu too.

You don't need to generate new pots, as these are not in the pot files
anyway.

Thanks!

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com