The Marketing Team Throws in One of Its Ideas

Andrew Zajac arzajac at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 20:42:35 UTC 2006

On 4/13/06, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 15:56 -0400, Andrew Zajac wrote:
>
> > I'm agreeing with Jenda that this needs to be brought to the user
> > before they chose to install.  Since printing up a pamphlet is costly,
> > the next-best option may be to stick the document somewhere prominent
> > like the desktop.
> >
> > Most people need some hand-holding to dual boot.  A lot of people are
> > aprehensive about the topics mentioned.  Although redundant to the
> > existing documentation, I think something like this would go a long
> > way to making people feel at ease with "taking the plunge."
>
> I don't doubt that, my point was simply that the document in question
> has nothing whatsoever to do with installing Ubuntu from the live cd.
> Having it on the desktop would cause rather a lot of confusion, since it
> doesn't apply to the liveCD installer.

> mdke at ubuntu.com
> gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF
>
> I replied to you off-list because I was distracted, sorry...

I think that document is not so far off.  I remember mulling over Bruce
Perren's Debian install manual for weeks before I installed for the first
time.

But that was Debian years ago.  You don't need to go into a lot of detail to
comfortably install ubuntu, but I guess a lot of people would like to be
able to dive "under the hood" before installing.  Is that much detail
required?  I dunno.  Maybe that document is a good starting point since it
covers a lot of the points mentioned.

What makes for good "bathroom reading?"  I don't want to be crude in
describing it that way, but is that the type of document we are discussing?