To branch or not to branch

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 11 11:14:14 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 16:36 +0530, Bhuvaneswaran wrote:

> I wish to propose a slightly different approach. We can create a
> branch and continue all our fixes in branch alone.

{snip}

> Being said this, we can make trunk read-only to disable any more
> commits till we start our work for next release. When we start our
> work for next release we can merge all fixes in latest tag to trunk.
> It has lot of advantages mainly
>
>   * simplicity
>   * Avoid duplicate work
>   * easy visualisation of the repository

I'd be against making trunk read-only because that will prevent work on
dapper+1 from starting whenever people wish to do so. I don't think that
duplicate work is a problem, because whenever somebody wishes to make an
exception to string freeze, all they need to do is apply their changes
to the branch, and then svn copy over to trunk. We'll have to do this at
any rate under any system, at some stage, so I think it makes sense to
do so when making the changes.

However, if the maintainers for each document would prefer to merge
changes later, that's fine by me. Each maintainer can decide what they
want to do. No problem.

> > * any new hotness for dapper+1 to be done in trunk.
>
> Why cant we do it in branch itself ?

Because the package for dapper will be made from that branch, and we
need it stable. Any dapper+1 stuff needs to be done in trunk.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com