Switching from Windows

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at iserv.net
Mon Apr 10 17:55:18 UTC 2006

On Monday 10 April 2006 13:23, Jordan Mantha wrote:
> On 4/10/06, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse at iserv.net> wrote:
> > I was catching up on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SwitchingFromWindows from
> > changes that have been made over the weekend and it appears the document
> > has moved from helping out both Ubuntu users and Kubuntu users to being
> > Ubuntu specific.
> > First I am curious as to why it has moved this way and Kubuntu was left
> > out. The second thing and I would like to re-propose this for Dapper +1
> > that we create guides that help out both Kubuntu and Ubuntu users.  This
> > can be done the same as the desktop guide is done and should be done.
>
> This brings up an issue that occurred to me as I was writing the
> packaging guide. I want to write in a neutral way as much as possible.
> The question that came to mind is how should refer to "Ubuntu the
> umbrella" as opposed to "Ubuntu the Gnome-based version". I tend to
> use Ubuntu in the umbrella meaning, mostly since I'm a MOTU and it is
> all the same repo to me. If I want to refer to something specific to
> Gnome I tend to use "Gnome" but I'm not sure if that is confusing to
> new users (I imagine it would be). What do you guys think about making
> a distinction in our terminology (maybe it is already there and I
> missed it)?
>
> -Jordan

There is a big difference for some documents.  How do you explain how import
bookmarks into Firefox if all they can find is Konqueror they are lost.  Also
there are differences for dealing with email (Kontact vs Evolution)
installing programs (Synaptic vs Adept) and others.

This raises another question, if this is to become a document should we start
editing in xml so it can be included?