diveintopython, and Dapper+1

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Sat Apr 8 02:28:52 UTC 2006

On Apr 8, 2006, at 6:05 AM, Jordan Mantha wrote:
> I've been thinking about Dapper+1 too lately. My little idea of a pet
> project would a Python guide. I think it would go well with Mark's
> goal of having Ubuntu also be a Python development platform. I was
> thinking something along the lines of half simple tutuorial to get
> people started and half "cookbook" style community contributed code
> snippets.

Are you aware that Ubuntu already ships with the diveintopython
package? Make its pages readable in Yelp from an "Advanced topics" >
"Writing your own programs" subsection, and your project will be
implemented in a matter of hours. :-)

Three things I'd love to see in the help viewer in Dapper+1:
*   a front page with a topic-based table of contents;
*   instructions on how to connect to the Internet (because unless you
     have another working computer, you can't get help on the Internet);
*   instructions on how to access files on Windows and Mac machines.

Three things I'd be disappointed to see in the help viewer in Dapper+1:
*   the words "guide", "documentation", or "this section";
*   numbered sections (except maybe in that Dive Into Python section);
*   any page longer than three paragraphs, except in "Advanced topics".

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/