new DocBookEditors wiki page

Jonathan Dill jonathan at nerds.net
Thu Apr 6 14:42:52 UTC 2006

Venkat Raghavan wrote:
> I've added some comments about vim, in which i do all my editing.

Thanks for the added details on vim :)
> Maybe a table structure would be better, this is pretty darned difficult to
> compare features in the current format.

I thought about this too, but which features should I include in a
table?  I haven't really described many features as such, mainly links
where you could go to find out more about the programs and a few comments.

I found the important features, such as code folding and syntax
highlighting, to be almost universal.  The differences are more in how
those features are implemented, and the skill set of the person trying
to install and use the program.  What seems intuitive to me could seem
very awkward to somebody else and vice versa.

For example, vim seems fairly intuitive to me, but I have just never
quite got the hang of emacs, and that seems like a subjective
difference.  At least for me, actually trying the program seems to be
the only way to really tell if I would like the program or not, and I
still haven't found a program that I am 100% satisfied with.

I hope that the "attributes" that I listed would help someone to answer
questions for themselves like these:

  * How easy or hard is it going to be for me to install this program?
  * How much help am I going to need and will I be able to get it?
  * Will the look and feel of the app be comfortable to me?

Jonathan