Hard copy publishing of the guides

Matthew East matthew.east at breathe.com
Wed Apr 5 08:41:09 UTC 2006

Dear all,

Robert Stoffers suggested via irc yesterday that it would be nice to set
up some kind of mechanism for making hard copies of guides available. I
think it's a really good idea. He suggested a publisher
http://www.lulu.com which will make copies of the book as they are
bought. So what happens is that if someone wants to buy a copy of the
book, they pay, lulu publishes the copy, and sends it. It has the
advantages that:

 * There is no risk of people not buying the book, because only copies
which are actually bought are produced.
 * It's free for us because the customer pays the cost of production
 * We have pdf versions, so we would simply send them that, and maybe
ask the art team to produce a cover design.

As far as I can see, there is no real reason not to look into this. As
Corey pointed out, yes there are other books available, but I think that
there may be people who will want to read our guides on hard copy, and
since giving them the possibility to do so is free for us and involves
no risk, I don't see why we shouldn't do it.

What do others think?

Matt
matthew.east at breathe.com