Yelp front page

Andreas Lloyd lloydinho at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 20:16:39 UTC 2006

Matthew East wrote:

>Wow, again, I can't thank you enough for this work. I really like it.
>I'm been trying to come up with a few descriptions for the new labels,
>it's really hard work. How about:
>
>Other document categories:
>	Desktop
>	  Guides to using the desktop
>	Applications
>	  Manuals for the programs which are installed
>	Other Documents
>	  Miscellaneous documents
>	Command Line Help
>	  Advanced system documentation

Yes, excellent work!
I agree that it is difficult to find precise descriptions for these
categories. I like the Matt's proposed descriptions, with two
suggestions (or nitpicks, possibly):

Applications
    Manuals for the programs found in Applications menu

Other Documents
    Miscellaneous technical documents

- the first suggestion is mostly to avoid the "which are installed"
wording, and because the "Applications" sub-Table of Contents use the
same categories as the Applications menu, giving some consistency. A
problem could be that not all the programs in Applications menu have
manuals in Help section, which is unfortunate, and something I'd like to
remedy. (is this because documentation for programs such as OpenOffice
and GIMP among others are too big to fit on the CD-ROM?)

- the second suggestion was merely to offer out some more information on
the type of documents contained within. Otherwise this category might
not need a description.

But as I said, these are minor details, and all in all, I think this new
Help front page is a great improvement for the Ubuntu docs.

Andreas