Yelp front page

Don Scorgie DonScorgie at Blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 14:12:44 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 10:41 +0100, Matthew East wrote:
<snip>
> Given that the front page content is not going to change, are you in
> favour of switching the order and introducing a title for the other
> document categories? The more people that reply to this question, the
> better, for the purposes of evaluating whether we should use this patch.
> I am tentatively in favour of the change.
>
> (Preferably, the order of the documents would be: About Ubuntu, Desktop
> Guide, Server Guide, Packaging Guide, but I think that it uses
> alphabetical order so we may not be able to change this: Don?)

Ubuntu docs on top of categories? Check
Adding a message to the top of categories? Check
Reordering the Ubuntu docs in a special way? Check!

Bah, who says it can't be done?  This patch reorders the Ubuntu docs
into the order:
About Ubuntu
Desktop Guide
Server Guide
Packaging Guide

(it also contains the previous 2 patches)

Techy bit (Can probably ignore):
It does it by scrollkeeper series id, so it should work with
translations and doesn't introduce any new translatable strings.
I've also added a little bit to only do the heavy work when its dealing
with Ubuntu docs to save slowing Yelp down too much.
I've also commented to show which number is which document if its
decided to change the order from this one (higher score in the code =>
higher on the list of docs).
</techy bit>

FWIW, I think with the title separating the docs and categories looks a
lot better than with no title.  Plus it doesn't seem to break the other
pages in Yelp as much (I don't really know why, it just feels a little
more natural).

Don