kdg suggestions for Partitions and Booting section

Rocco Stanzione grasshopper at linuxkungfu.org
Tue Apr 4 03:52:12 UTC 2006

On Monday 03 April 2006 22:00, Venkat Raghavan wrote:
[snip]
> > > I found that kubuntu automatically mounts my vfat and ntfs partitions
> > > but doesn't give my user access to them. Specifically vfat gets read
> > > access only and ntfs has no read access at all.
> >
> > This is true up until very recently - possibly even up until now in
> > uploaded packages, but the released version of Dapper will mount win32
> > partitions as the plugdev group, of which the first user is a member,
> > with a umask of 007. So, the first user should have full permissions to
> > these filesystems.
>
> I have no clue about umasks, so if someone tells me what is correct, I'll
> commit those changes.

See
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/partman-basicfilesystems/+bug/25071
especially the bottom.

[snip]
> Since everything automounts to /media, i think it might be a better idea to
> use /media instead of /mnt

Everything I can think of that gets mounted under /media is removable -
cdroms, floppies, usb sticks, etc.  But again if we want that behavior
changed we're discussing it on the wrong list.

Rocco Stanzione