DocBook editor / IDE tools

Jonathan Dill jonathan at nerds.net
Mon Apr 3 22:15:02 UTC 2006

Matthew East wrote:
> Cool, welcome! Take a look at our page at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Contribute and see if you'd like to
> integrate something there. If not, perhaps https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocBook could
> be improved. If not that, how about a subpage of it? Whatever you feel is most
> appropriate.

I found there is an "Editing Programs" section at the bottom of the
DocBook page, so I think I could expand on that, or perhaps "hive that
off" onto a separate page if I come up with enough stuff.  I sent an
e-mail to Christoph Haas about the page, welcoming his input and
suggestions.

I think it might be good to make some distinction between packages that
are in the Ubuntu repository vs. other tools that must be installed from
source code or require java for e.g.  I suspect it would be a Good Thing
(tm) to encourage use of tools that are part of the distro for
maintaining the distro's documentation in terms of community support and
helping people with problems.  Not that there is anything wrong with
using jEdit for example, but people shouldn't necessarily expect lots of
help from the Ubuntu community if they have a problem with it, they
should go to the jEdit community to resolve those problems--a link to
the jEdit forums would be helpful in that case.

Thanks,
Jonathan