Ubuntu Help compared with other help systems

Brian Burger blurdesign at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 22:53:05 UTC 2006

On 4/1/06, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On Apr 2, 2006, at 4:56 AM, Don Scorgie wrote:
> > Attached is a patch that adds a title to the top of the categories.
> > In the patch, it reads as "This is a placeholder string" until wording
> > is decided (if you decide to use the patch).  It replaces the other
> > patch.
> >
> > As before, screenshot at:
> > http://donscorgie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Screenshot-Help-Topics-with-
> > title.png
>
> If this order is retained, I'd prefer "The following are other document
> sections available:" to be shortened to "Other help" (with no colon).
>
> Also, regardless of order, all phrases of the form "The ______ Guide is
> an introduction to" should be deleted. They're redundant.

Agreed.

Anyway, it's great that you're trying out new ideas, but I don't think
> this one is achieving much.

It's a good first step, anway.

The problem isn't the order of items on the
> front page, it's that the wrong things are on the front page. For
> example, "Ubuntu Packaging Guide" is on there, but is *completely*
> irrelevant to the vast majority of people using Ubuntu. "Maintenance
> and troubleshooting" would be useful to most people, but isn't there.
> "Other Documentation" is on there, but is almost meaningless. "Playing
> music and video" would be useful to most people, but isn't there. And
> so on.

Hmm - I may have said this before, but it sounds like you're arguing for
having Desktop Guide open by default, instead of the current general help
screen - because the Desktop Guides are where the 'Music & Video' etc
sections are... This would require a major re-org of existing docs - we're
far too close to Doc StringFreeze for Dapper to pull this off for Dapper.

Brian