Why all the empty pages?

Matthew East matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com
Mon Sep 12 15:21:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 08:14 -0700, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> >  > We have been keeping pages from past Ubuntu conferences for historical
> >  > reason, so that one fits in that category.
> >
> > I don't understand - what is the wiki for? It can't be for absolutely everything, old conference notes?
> > It's tying up a very relevant name: "ThirdPartyVendorSoftware". Surely that wiki name shouldn't be used
> > by notes for an old conference...
> >
> > But really, it does beg the question of what the wiki is for and how it can be tidied up. Should there
> > be a seperate wikiweb dedicated to support/documentaion?
> >
> > Or should we just start renaming pages fomr the conference (for example) with a suitable prefix? Perhaps
> > such things be renamed to (for example) UduSessionThirdPartyVendorSoftware
>
> the wiki is for all sort of things related to Ubuntu-world, not just the
> documentation.  And for simplicity one wiki is easier than multiple
> wikis.  So old, and future conferences documents are in there, and can
> be very much in use, various pages for local groups in all sort of
> languages, draft of future announcements, agendas and notes for various
> Ubuntu teams, etc, etc.

Yes indeed, the current attitude is for the single wiki to do as much as
possible. The conference in question originally had a separate wiki, as
did the Edubuntu project. Both these wikis have recently been merged to
the Ubuntu wiki.

As Daniel has done, I'd reiterate that the wiki is not just for
documentation, in fact it is probably not even its main function. The
wiki is a great place to community members to contribute tips and
guides, and for this reason there has been some great work done to try
and organise these efforts. However, it is also a place for people to
post ideas/specs and organise development.

Matt