Breezy+1 release schedule

Matthew East matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com
Fri Sep 9 09:57:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 10:13 +0100, Jane Silber wrote:
> I know no one is thinking about this yet, but just a thought for when it
> does come up:
>
> I think doc string freeze should be slightly after Preview release.
> There are things that will only be discovered with the wide distribution
> of Preview, and when docs are in place.   Otherwise the only comments we
> will get are from people who view the docs in their working repository
> or on the new preview site (but that is still not as effective as
> accepting comments/bugs when you can see the docs in situ).
>
> I realise of course there is a tension here with wanting things looked
> down for the translators.  That will have to be balanced somehow.

This problem is due to some extent to the fact that the docs get
packaged and uploaded right at the end of the release cycle. In fact,
they are still only just in Breezy (/usr/share/doc/ubuntu-docs) but are
not yet appearing when you click on the Help icon because we still have
some things to sort out in the packaging.

If there is a consistent methodology adopted for packaging from now on,
it should be possible to get WorkInProgress documentation into the
distribution at an earlier stage, thus alleviating this problem.

As far as giving the translators time, I already think that they will
not have very long to get things ready for release!

Matt