How to register our Ubuntu Documentation in Yelp Front Page

Jerome Gotangco jgotangco at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 01:13:21 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Now that we're close to the much-awaited Preview Release, I took time to
learn how to register in Yelp the documents we have. If you are using
Breezy, here are the basic steps to register the Ubuntu documents in Yelp.
This method is quite dirty but it works.

1. Copy your files in /usr/share/doc (ex. /usr/share/doc/foo)

2. Create a ScrollKeeper Document Series ID for each doc that need to be
registered: scrollkeeper-gen-seriesid.

3. Create an OMF file for each document that need to be registered. Here is
a basic sample of an OMF file with a series id:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE omf PUBLIC "-//OMF//DTD Scrollkeeper OMF Variant V1.0//EN" "
http://scrollkeeper.sourceforge.net/dtds/scrollkeeper-omf-1.0/scrollkeeper-omf.dtd"

<omf>
<resource>
<creator>
ubuntu-doc at lists.ubuntu.com (Ubuntu Documentation Project)
</creator>
<title>
About Ubuntu 5.10
</title>
<date>
2005-10-07
</date>
<subject category="General|Linux|Distributions|Other"/>
<description>Learn about Ubuntu 5.10</description>
<format mime="text/html"/>
<identifier url="
file:///usr/share/doc/about-ubuntu/about-ubuntu/C/index.html"/>
<language code="C"/>
<relation seriesid="565937cc-1fb5-11da-9c15-e69c32c5dca8"/>
</resource>
</omf>

The <subject> tag with the category attribute
"General|Linux|Distributions|Other" makes <title> and <description> visible
on the Yelp front page.

4. Create a folder in /usr/share/omf to save your OMF file. All Ubuntu
documents can be located in one folder in /usr/share/omf.

5. Install the omf file to the ScrollKeeper catalog: scrollkeeper-install
foo.omf

6. Update the ScrollKeeper catalog: scrollkeeper-update

7. Restart Yelp

8. PROFIT

Since we ship in HTML, it made the process simple, but we have to make the
CSS consistent to all Ubuntu-docs. I've tested About Ubuntu and the FAQ
Guide and they gave different results, so there's no consistency in the
"look and feel" department. So consistency in the HTML (and CSS) output
should be our primary concern right now.

Translated documents need to have their own OMF files as well.

I'm not sure how packaging will affect the method above, i will seek
jbailey's help on this.

Cheers!

Jerome G.