improving scope of (Ubuntu) documentation for Dapper

Andi Darmawan andi.darmawan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 18:13:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:00:59 +0100
Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 11:22 +0100, Matthew East wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 18:16 +0800, Jerome Gotangco wrote:
> > > well if that's the case, then would it be possible to move the
> > > server stuff of the starter guide to an admin guide. I think it's
> > > a better idea to make the starter guide desktop oriented.
> > > Overlaps solved.
> >
> > I don't see a major difference between having a separate section in
> > the starter guide for server things, and having a separate guide
> > for server things. This is a broader issue of how we are going to
> > organise our documentation.
>
> Ok I thought about this a bit more this morning, and realised that
> actually there is a difference: people running a server won't use
> synaptic etc to install things and will generally want a more terminal
> based approach. So with that in mind, I'd suggest:
>
> * Ubuntu Desktop Starter Guide
> * Ubuntu Server Starter Guide
>
> I think this would avoid overlap, and lead to two comprehensive
> guides, and the user would have no doubt which to turn to when
> seeking to resolve a specific problem.

I agree with Matt's suggestions. People running a server might not need
multimedia installations and so on, but in #ubuntu I sometimes saw
people asking "how to install openssh?" So the server guide will be
more specific about the server tools, like installing lamp
(linux-apache-mysql-php).

So, imho, it would be great to have to separate guides, one for desktop
and one for server.

--
Andi "Belutz" Darmawan
http://belutz.blogspot.com