Sec: Unclassified RE: proposal for our repositorystructurepost-breezy

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 20 08:13:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 08:08 +0200, Sean Wheller wrote:
> On Thursday 20 October 2005 01:23, Stoffers, Robert LAC wrote:
> > Sean,
> >
> > The decision was made by the docteam to ship as html, it wasn't until the
> > 11th hour did we get the word from jdub and others that we needed to ship
> > as xml or the translations were not going to work. They also mentioned that
> > they prefer xml over html anyway. We didn't like it, but Matt and myself
> > put in a lot of work to insure our documents would be shipped with Ubuntu,
> > and this included having to remove the kde profile out of the faq guide to
> > get it to work in yelp. Simply put, ***the choice was out of our
> > control***.
>
> Hmm, I think that is now spilt milk. Although I do feel that people should
> have fixed Yelp rather than making you do all those changes and losing the
> profile for kde.
>
> With regard to your proposed structure, I have said before that I have no
> problem with it. What I do ponder is whether or not it would be better to do
> kubuntu and perhaps other distro docs in other places. The focus here at
> Ubuntu is rightly, Ubuntu, all else is a second.

From my point of view, there can be absolutely no question of this.
Doing kubuntu docs in other places is just another attempt at
fragmentation which goes totally against the current spirit of (n)Ubuntu
development generally, and which the docs team should not engage in
under any circumstance. No docteam member has discouraged the
development of kde docs, and the repository is open to kde activity as
to other activity.

We shouldn't even have to be having this discussion, IMO. Yes,
contribution to the docteam in general is low, and we need to address
that, but not by fragmenting.

Matt