proposal for our repository structure post-breezy

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 17 13:02:44 UTC 2005

I've tentatively put the following proposal up for issue at the next
docteam agenda, basically because we really need a simpler and effective
build structure in order to get l10n working more easily for next
release. We've done a whole lot of stuff manually in this release, which
has been a pain.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocteamRepositoryInfrastructure

I've noticed some comments on that page already by mhz. I'm not
particularly convinced about using Moin for translations, but then
again, I haven't seen any arguments in favour yet. Perhaps this thread
will be a good place to start.

The advantages of using rosetta and gnome-doc-utils build system would
be, as I see them (the following are not necessarily discreet points):

(a) The rest of Ubuntu is using Rosetta and it is a closely-related
project to Ubuntu
(b) Ubuntu translators are already using rosetta so putting docs in
there will attract them to help, rather than make them use two different
tools
(b) Gnome-doc-utils is a tried and tested tool and is used for all gnome
documentation
(c) We used gnome-doc-utils for generating translated xml this release
(d) Ubuntu uses and has a close relationship to Gnome
(e) Gnome documentation and Ubuntu documentation need to get closer
together
(f) Ubuntu documentation as published in ubuntu-docs basically follows
the gnome doc packaging layout (afaik) in order to be compatible with
yelp.

As far as I can see, the Moin xml work is still pretty raw, whereas the
gnome doc guys have been using g-d-u for ages with success. I should
also say I had some really good help from those guys when trying to sort
out translations.

Any comments from people with the same/other views and less/more
knowledge than me about this aspect are really welcome!

I hope none of my comments are based on "religious" preferences (god I
hate that word) and that we can sort out the best and easiest build
system for the next release.

Matt

mdke at ubuntu.com