Modems in the wiki

Brian Burger blurdesign at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 22:03:44 UTC 2005

On 10/9/05, Duncan Lithgow <duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk> wrote:
> Brian Burger wrote:
> > In the course of tracking some rather overenthusiastic changes made by
> > a new contributer to the Ubuntu wiki,
> possibly me, who knows...

Nope, somebody new this time.

> > There are modem pages all over the wiki; some brands (chipsets?) seem
> > to have triplicate pages about them, and a lot of the information
> > seems to be Warty-era stuff, too.
> What I tried to do (before people told me basically not to mess around
> with it) was organise things a bit more modularly, instead of
> 'everything linked from one page'

Duncan, I don't think anyone said 'not to mess around with it' - or at
least, that wasn't what was meant, I hope. What was said was 'Please
discuss large-scale changes here on the mailing list before making
them unilaterally.'

> > This page has sort of become a clearing house for the disaster:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SettingUpModems
> In my view this shoukd become a permanent, and the primary, resource for
> finding help with modems. Link to it from UserDocs

Probably a good idea, after it gets cleaned up massively. Right now
it's in no state to be used as a guide.

Once again: can ANYONE who knows a bit about winmodems in Linux please
have a go at some of those pages and make some sense of the mess?

> But that's just my opinion and I don't work on the wiki at the moment.

That's too bad; you did do some good work reorganizing
UserDocumentation and elsewhere.

Brian.
- Madpilot on IRC & elsewhere -