Modems in the wiki

Brian Burger blurdesign at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 09:11:12 UTC 2005

In the course of tracking some rather overenthusiastic changes made by
a new contributer to the Ubuntu wiki, I realized that he had actually
pointed out a much older mess: dailup modems and winmodem information
on our wiki is a really chaotic mess...

There are modem pages all over the wiki; some brands (chipsets?) seem
to have triplicate pages about them, and a lot of the information
seems to be Warty-era stuff, too.

This page has sort of become a clearing house for the disaster:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SettingUpModems

I feel slightly bad about pointing this out, because I've never run
dailup in Linux, and haven't even used dialup regularly in at least 5
years. All I can really do is explore the mess and point it out to
those more qualified!

Hopefully someone who knows modems (and winmodems) on Linux can clear
some of this up and transform that area of the wiki!

Brian
("Madpilot" on IRC and elsewhere in the Ubuntuverse)