FW: Unclassified RE: Ubuntu Desktop Starter Guide Feedback

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 30 08:24:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 12:10 +1000, Stoffers, Robert LAC wrote:

> [...]

As I said before, I really think that including different methods of
installation within the body of the document itself is a bad idea: the
document (IMO) should set out how to install programs in a separate
section (as it does), and in the body of the document simply use the
name of the package required, and refer back to that section. Otherwise,
if it refers to different package managers throughout, it will be very
confusing.

As for including a section on apt in that section, if we don't provide
this, we will continue to see the criticism that the guide restricts
users choice and doesn't provide for users who like to learn/use the
command line to do so. I would really strongly push for a section on
apt, which can really be taken quite straightforwardly from the wiki,
which then refers to the man page for further information. If man pages
were good enough, there would be no guide at all ;)

But having a section on apt in the package management chapter is only
going to be useful if my first idea (cutting specific package managers
out of the body of the document) is going to be followed, so in that
sense, the above two paragraphs are related.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com