Desktop Guide/Getting Started

Robert Stoffers rstoffers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 07:30:03 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 23:04 -0800, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> On 11/29/05, Brian Burger <blurdesign at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was just having a quick look at the Desktop Guide - it looks good.
> >
> > There's a bit of unclear writing here:
> > http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/ch01.html#about-ubuntu
> >
> > "Ubuntu is a South African ethic ideology focusing on people's
> > allegiances and relations with each other."
> >
> > Is "ethic" supposed to be "ethnic" or "ethical"? It could be either;
> > "ethical" makes a bit more sense to me.
>
> That quote seems to be directly taken from wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28ideology%29
> Ubuntu (IPA: /ùbúntú/) is a South African ethic or ideology focusing
> on people's allegiances and relations with each other. The word comes
> from the Zulu and Xhosa languages. Ubuntu is seen as a traditional
> African concept.
>

> --
> Daniel Robitaille

This was taken, as was most of the rest of this section from the Ubuntu
User Guide in our subversion repository. If you have a look at both
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28ideology%29 and
http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/ch01.html#about-ubuntu they
are almost the same (in the about-ubuntu section). Where did it come
from first, and how do we proceed from here?

Rob

--
Robert Stoffers
Author/Maintainer - Ubuntu Starter Guide