RestricteFormats wiki page

Rich Rudnick nickrud at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 9 00:14:42 UTC 2005

Hi, all

I've been doing a bit (a lot) of work on the RestrictedFormat Page. I
probably put up part of the work too soon. (All I can claim is that I
got a cursory once over from some people on the #ubuntu-doc, and no
complaints).

I'm trying to make this page obvious to the casual observer, so that
people who have no linux experience will have a better idea of what they
are doing, and make the doing as painless as possible. To that end, I've
specifically chosen to explain how to support the applications listed on
the MultimediaApplications page, chosen what I feel are the simplest
methods of getting that support, and provided a page link that can hold
alternative installation methods.

Additionally, I have pointed out at each step that not everyone can use
the non-free stuff legally. (This is more explicit on the work in
progress than in what I have already put up)

I'd like to continue down this path, because this page is probably read
by more new users than any other, and should be reasonably clear, and to
the point.

You can see where I'm currently at at

http://pinutos.dyndns.org/MyWiki/RestrictedFormats

If I could get some feedback, pointers on direction (sub pages?)
(alternate download links?) (approval :) I would be very appreciative.

Thanks.