Evaluate GAI vs Synaptic for Dapper

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 1 23:44:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 15:35 -0800, Matt Kirchhoff wrote:
> Quoth Corey Burger on 11/1/2005 3:00 PM:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I created a talking point spec for evaluating gai vs synaptic in our
> > Dapper docs. See:
> > https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/evalutate-install-for-docs
>
> Added to 4-NOV meeting agenda, in case there's time:

I propose an alternative to this:

Describe ALL the methods of installing software. So far most of the
complaints I've seen about our guide is the lack of alternative
(especially CLI) solutions. I think this is eminently possible without
sacrificing simplicity. In the case of installing software, it would
work like this:

= Installing Software =

== Brief bit on how software works in linux ==
== What are repositories ==
== Adding Extra repositories ==
== Adding and Removing Programs ==
=== Gnome-app-install ===
=== Synaptic ===
=== Command line ===

Then any later section would refer back to this chapter when asking the
user to install a particular program.

mdke at ubuntu.com