Help.ubuntu.com wiki idea

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 1 23:33:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 16:51 -0500, Corey Burger wrote:
> On 11/1/05, Matt Kirchhoff <mek at somnonym.org> wrote:
> > Quoth Jonathan Jesse on 11/1/2005 10:48 AM:
> > > So we have these great docs on wiki.ubuntu.com would we then move them to
> > > help.ubuntu.com?
> >
> > I think the idea is to put what we consider "signficant" docs onto
> > help.ubuntu.com, cleaning them up (i.e. ensuring they meet style
> > guidelines) in the process.
> >
> > Anyone is still free to edit the original wiki doc, so it's not taking
> > anything away from those writers. The goal is to have a clean,
> > well-organized site where users can quickly get access to the most
> > significant docs.
> >
> > --
> > Matt Kirchhoff
>
> However, we absolutely need to have an easy way to publish to help.u.c

Couple of points here.

The BetterWikiDocs idea was not to lock down access to a new wiki (with
the exception of controlling deleting/renaming of pages and other
"administrative" activities that require a decent working knowledge of
the wiki software). It was to put the docs all in way place and remove
the distractions of other documentation. I think this is made quite
clear on the page. Any "new" wiki would be open for all to edit, as I
see it. Forking the wiki pages and making one "official" and one
"non-official" version would be a dangerous road to go down IMHO.

As for an easy way to publish to help.u.c, the documents released with
the operating system are published there. The work in progress docs are
published on doc.u.c and there is a really easy way to publish these:
simply make changes to the sidebar.inc.php file in our svn. Adding a
wiki to help.u.c with restricted permissions which is editable only by
the docteam would basically be going down the road of using the wiki
exclusively for docs. Now, this may be a road we want to go down (Fedora
seem to do this), but it shouldn't be dressed up as anything else, and
is obviously a massive decision which would require full xml
compatibility on any wiki.

If these points were not made clear in the spec, please feel free to
include this thread in any BOF, although it is a shame that we will only
have one docteam member present at it.

Matt

mdke at ubuntu.com