Yelp

Robert Stoffers rstoffers at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 00:26:10 UTC 2005

>From the Gnome Docteam mailing list (for those that don't read it):

I've been working on adding some features to yelp and wish to work on
getting them upstreamed.

Included are 4 yelp patches.

The first, yelp-helpuri.patch, enables yelp to recognize help: uris as
used by KDE.  It will also find things in some gnome directories (with
the same behavior as the patch I added to khelpcenter for SuSE a while
back.)  I've written up a standard, but it needs some discussion.  This
could go in as is to match with KDE.

The second, yelp-libmenu.patch, causes yelp to use the menu system to
generate its table of contents instead of using scrollkeeper.  This will
allow us to get rid of the installtime hit from scrollkeeper as well as
make the help menu match the Applications menu.  This is just reading
from a .menu file, so we can have a help.menu file that includes
applications.menu so we can include stuff not in the menus.

The third, yelp-printing.patch, adds printing support to yelp.  It will
print either the page or the whole document.

The fourth, yelp-toctree.patch, displays the table of contents as a tree
on a single page instead of across multiple pages.

All 4 patches can be applied to the same tree.

Known bugs:

- Printing the whole document leaks some memory because I'm not sure how
to know when the printing is done so I can free the temporary mozilla
window.

- Having the table of contents tree remember which nodes are open across
sessions requires yelp_html_initialize from yelp-printing.patch, but I
didn't want to have the patches conflict too much.

--
Robert Stoffers
Author/Maintainer - Ubuntu Starter Guide

Email - rstoffers at g mail dot com