wiki round tripping (was: Ideas Please)

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at canonical.com
Tue May 17 20:46:56 UTC 2005

Jeff Schering wrote:

>How's the wiki->DocBook stuff coming along?

Well, it  looks like you're ahead of the pack :)

>(The moin on the current wiki is, to put it politely, dysfunctional, so I installed MoinMoin on my machine to test my template.)

Yeah, the current wiki  is broken in various ways :)  Just in: James has
put up a test wiki so we can start working on the transfer issues:
http://test.wiki.ubuntu.com/ (note: this may or may not be the final
copy, so use at your own risk, etc.)

>So it looks like wiki round tripping is a step closer. Perhaps it will
>turn into a useful tool sometime in the future.

Very cool!

Now, how do we do the Moin->DocBook step? I guess a page like this:
http://test.wiki.ubuntu.com/FrontPage?action=print is a good step in
that direction. To do it properly we will have to write an export filter
in python, and then we can put in whatever tags we want. The question
then will be where to store tags like <author> in the Moin markup? I
guess we can do it in a comment and then have the python parser fish it out.

- Henrik