wiki round tripping (was: Ideas Please)

Jeff Schering jeffschering at gmail.com
Tue May 17 20:23:30 UTC 2005

On 5/17/05, Henrik Nilsen Omma <henrik at canonical.com> wrote:
> make the wiki -> DocBook transfer easier (and I'm currently working on
> that).
>
> - Henrik

Hi Henrik

How's the wiki->DocBook stuff coming along?

I decided to learn xslt, and as an exercise I created a template that
converts DocBook articles to Moin markup. (The moin on the current
wiki is, to put it politely, dysfunctional, so I installed MoinMoin on
my machine to test my template.) I'm going to put the template into
the teamstuff folder of the docteam repos once I get a couple little
bugs worked out, hopefully before the weekend. I have called it
article2moin, for lack of a better term. I also want to write up a
quick little howto just in case people want to fool around with it.

I have also created a DTD for it, such that a valid article2moin
article is also a valid DocBook article (but not always vice versa).
The article2moin DTD does not include any attribute declarations
(except for the emphasis tag), and the elements have a limited set of
allowable child elements. I think it should be kept as simple as
possible.

These are the elements that article2moin supports so far:
article
menuchoice
  quimenu
  guisubmenu
  guimenuitem
guibutton
guilabel
command
programlisting
filename
warning
important
caution
tip
subscript
superscript
literallayout
citetitle
emphasis
emphasis role="bold"

These are the elements that should be added:
articleinfo
  legalnotice
  authorgroup
    author
      firstname
      surname
      othername
ulink
mediaobject
  imageobject
    imagedata
  textobject
    phrase

and of course table and informaltable and all of their sub elements.
I'm sure there are others as well, but like I said, it should be kept
as simple as possible.

So it looks like wiki round tripping is a step closer. Perhaps it will
turn into a useful tool sometime in the future.

Cheers,
Jeff
--
GPG Key: 1024D/F23C67E8 2005-02-20 Jeff Schering <jeffschering at gmail.com>