Swap faq announce

Sam Tygier samtygier at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 15 12:40:16 UTC 2005

hello

a few things

You might want to change the
"If you have n Mb of ram, you need between n and 2*n Mb of swap"
i am not sure everyone will recognise * as multiply, 2 x n, might be better. prehaps giving an example might help, eg

"So if you have 256 MB of ram then you should use between 256 and 512 MB of swap"

also no answer yet to the question, i turn off swap on my laptop, will i get more batter life? i have 768mb of ram, so i dont really need swap do i?

is there a recomendation that the swap partition should be the first partition, or last or something like that, because its the faster bit of the disk?

are there special cases if i have very large or very small amounts of ram?
if i had 4 or 8 GB of ram should i still follow the between n and 2*n Mb recomendation?
if i had only 16 or 32mb, would a large enough swap let me run gnome or kde?

anyway, good start

thanks

sam