Two things

Stoos, Ralph Ralph.Stoos at xerox.com
Fri May 13 11:36:42 UTC 2005

Hello All,

Two questions.

1.  Since I am a newbie, can someone give a list of the IRC servers and
channels that pertain to Ubuntu?  I would like to start joining in on
the discussions to help me see what needs to be done and set priorities.

2. Does anyone know of a tool in the Ubuntu distro, that will help me
configure my sound card.  As is usual with my Compaq box here at work,
Ubuntu was not able to find/use my ESS1889 sound chip.  This has
happened with other distros as Compaq tends to take a standard chip
(both video and audio) and somehow make it hard to work with.  I think
they may place the I/O addresses different than when the chip is on the
manufacturers card.  With other distros, I am usually able to run a tool
and manually tell the OS which chip and where to find it, or at least
specify the driver/module.  I am guessing there is such a tool in Ubuntu
but I don't know where it is, yet.

Thanks a lot,

Ralph