A survey of questions asked on #ubuntu in the last month

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Fri May 13 04:13:49 UTC 2005

The title says it all. Take the results for what they are worth.

Biggest issues that need help (in no particular order)
1. Mplayer
*HOWTO: We need a general howto on what version to install and how to
configure sound

2. Gdesklets
*HOWTO: Develop a howto on the install and which ones are known to work

3. Warty to Hoary upgrade docs
*HOWTO: A WartyToHoary howto, with links to other issues. Build up a
set of user built docs that we can garden.

4. Menu editing
*HOWTO: Manually and the programs out there. Explain risks

5. Wireless
*HOWTO: Basically a portal page to wep, supported cards, etc.

6. Non-ubuntu repos/ .deb files
*HOWTO: Explain the risks

7. Ubuntu on the server
*HOWTO: Yes, it works, lets promote it

8. Mounting windows drives
*HOWTO: Need a basic howto

Big issues we should leave alone, as they can cause serious breakage
1. Bootsplash

Big issues that don't need help:
1. Binary drivers
*NO ACTION: We have a pretty good howto on this.

2. Sudo
*NO ACTION: Our howto is pretty good, and someone from Canonical is
going to be working
on it.

3. Codecs
*NOACTION: Our howto is pretty good, and now only recommends
hoary-extras, not crackish marilliat

Minor issues:
1. Time/NTP
2. DVD ripping