Tag for Hoary

Sean Wheller sean at inwords.co.za
Wed Mar 30 07:36:24 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 09:30, Nick Loeve wrote:
> I never have time :) But on the other hand i would love to :)
>
> I am not 100% sure of what we are wanting (at least for the first step).
> Here is what i think i need to do (please tell me if i have missed
> anything or i am wrong):
>
> - If a document has not been translated or has no .pot file, we need to
> be able to add a .pot file according to what is needed for Rosetta. That
> means one set of .pot file(s) per ubuntu .deb package in the layout
> required. This is currently in the Makefile for docs shipping with Hoary.
+1

> - When people start generating translated .po files we need a filesystem
> structure that supports merging/storing .po files etc etc OR does
> Rosetta handle merging and updates to the .pot file?

We will soon have this file structure. No we will manage the merge and diffs.
Or translators can have have access to our repos and do it equally well.

> - When the .debs get packaged the translated .po documents need to be
> po2xml'ed so they can be added to the package. Maybe we can automate
> getting the current version of a translated .po file from Rosetta.

Would be nice. But I don't know how. So I assume some human intervention.

> I know that was badly worded, but i sorta want to make any scripts that
> i create address what we currently need. That was badly worded too!

Clear enough ;-) The issue to to address a simple system for now and then we
can build on it. If we can get from a po to <filename>-<lang>.xml in the same
directory as the en file for now it will be good.

> On a side note, i cannot create an account on Launchpad, so i haven't
> really been able to get a look at Rosetta. Anyone else have that
> problem? How can docteam members get an account on Rosetta?

No idea.

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author