Rehashing wikis

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Tue Mar 15 00:20:49 UTC 2005

Yes, the links on the front page have to be efficient if it's not to be
come a huge long-scrolling laundry list (sometimes that's ok, but not
here I think). I think the front page should link to "second tier" doc
pages, not to another first-tier "here are all docs" page.

As you point out this wiki is serving multiple audiences, and I think
someone earlier proposed separate wiki sites. That might make sense at
some point, but it's a tough sell. There is a huge benefit to having
everything close at hand in a single simple wiki.

I think it's better to use the hierarchy as a hint here. Looking at the
wiki contents it feels like time for another round of work there. Just
an idea, but how about this:

- Keep DocumentationArea where it is, to act as the common ancestor of
"end-user documentation"-type pages, as distinct from developer and
other content. I'd rename it Documentation or UserDocumentation. Then
when you are browsing a user documentation page, you'll know it because
UserDocumentation appears in the ancestry above the title.

- Move its content (there isn't much) to FrontPage, trimming it down if
necessary. Leave it basically empty. So there's no doubt about where to
start when you're looking for docs: it's FrontPage.

I see there's already a DevelopersDocumentation node, so I think this
makes sense. Anyway I'm losing coherence but you get the idea, what do
you think ? Note it can be rearranged again rather easily if we find a
better scheme. It's tough to find the right organization all at once.