To Yelp or not to Yelp? That's the Question

Nick Loeve ubuntu at trickie.org
Fri Mar 4 22:33:14 UTC 2005

Sean Wheller wrote:

> For these reasons I am asking that we target the ubuntu docs to be accessible
> from all desktops using any browser. This will mean that we use the docbook
> standard DTD and XSL's shipped by the project and transform to any of the
> following formats: HTML/XHTML, PDF, HTML-help. All can be displayed in any
> browser.

Agreed. (X)HTML/PDF over Yelp. I think HTML is fine for most purposes,
although it would be nice to have PDF for printing.

> Using this method enables us to use the full publishing feature set and build
> an Ubuntu customization layer. It also better enables us to benefit from the
> advances in development comming from the Docbook community. Some may know
> that Docbook 5.0 is around the corner and the long awaited availability of
> RelaxNG (RNG) will come with it. Moving to RNG will solve many problems of
> DTD and will enable many new possabilities for us. I cannot see Yelp
> providing immediate support for RNG and the entire set of publishing
> capabilities available with native docbook.

Yeah, i was reading about this the other day. Sean, i know RNG schemas
are alot easier to read, but could you tell me what else is wrong with
DTD's and what RNG will provide for us that DTD's don't?

> <sidebar>
> On https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/DocteamPostHoary I have mentioned "Blue
> Sky" that I would like to develop using XUL the UbuntuBar and
> UbuntuNavigator.

Thats a great idea(s) Sean. XUL is not extremely difficult to use, so i
could see a few people from the docteam being able to get their hands
dirty with it.

When i get more time on my hands to use my imagination (which is quite
stagnant at the moment :) ) then i will have more of a think about
Post-Hoary/Pre-Grumpy ideas.

Cheers
trickie (Nick Loeve)