Categories on the wiki [was "Wiki Team?"]

Matthew east matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com
Mon Jun 27 23:09:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 14:27 -0700, Corey Burger wrote:
> I have a few issues with restricted user access like this. Who would
> hand out the writes to create categories? I hate mention WP here, but
> they have free addition of categories, and mostly it works. They are
> also several magnitudes larger than our wiki, which a much broader
> user group.
>
> Thus, I don't see a compeling reason to unnecessarily restrict user
> rights like this.

I hear where you're coming from: perhaps in the end the concern over
limitless categories is not a particularly large one. I still think that
it might be helpful to have a group of people who would take on the
responsibility for sorting and categorising wiki pages, but naturally no
special access is necessary for that, and you are probably right that
user access should not be restricted unless there is a good reason.

Matt