Assigning Projects

matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com
Tue Jun 21 17:38:27 UTC 2005

Jerome Gotangco writes:

>> * Each project to be assigned a docteam member who will be responsible
>> for its maintenance. Projects without such a person not to be considered.
>> * Team should stay in regular contact with those "project owners" to
>> monitor how things are going. Group leaders should post updates on the
>> DocteamProjects page regularly as to the status of their project(s).
>
> I am editing this page at the moment, similar to a project management
> setting ala UDU. Unfortunately, the wiki died now so the page is
> half-baked. I will fix this when the wiki decides to wake up :).
>
> In a nutshell, we will have project status in a color-coded column. I
> have added a status column  and will merge the two columns, the info and
> title columns. Hopefully, before the next meeting I will schedule (to
> make it a regular meeting as well), we will merge all 3 tables into 1
> and set priorities to the documents and tag them appropriately. All
> documents will be tagged "Help Wanted" for now unless there is a visible
> person involved in the document.

Awesome work! I'm really encouraged by this. The page looks much better.

Couple of things I wanted to suggest re: docteam projects.

I was thinking that perhaps it would be a good idea to set up a subgroup of
the docteam to deal with the wiki. Obviously everyone edits the wiki and can
edit it in any way they see fit, however I am fairly convinced that if there
were a small group of docteam members who take responsibility for attempting
to take care of structural and formatting things on the wiki. It is my
belief that if some people take a formal responsibility for this, more of it
will get done. Obvious projects for right now would be sorting out the
problem with icons on the wiki, cleaning up the UserDocumentation section,
and amending the Docteam pages to make them more accessible for newcomers.

Another possible role for such a team would be to take responsibility for
identifying and processing material on the wiki which is suitable for being
ported to docbook and put in our archive, as we discussed (anyone who missed
this discussion check out:
http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2005-May/002403.html).

What do people think of this idea? Perhaps it can be discussed on list and
at the next meeting?

thanks,

Matt