possible documentation viewer?

Sean Wheller sean at inwords.co.za
Fri Jun 3 13:16:00 UTC 2005

On Friday 03 June 2005 15:08, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Sean Wheller">
>
> > For ubuntu-doc purposes Yelp does not support a mountain of things and is
> > not easily customizable.
>
> This is fixable, outline the issues faced. I'm already working with Shaun
> to address a number of major issues. The strategy you outlined is
> unsupportable from a distro perspective, and entirely unreasonable for
> participation with upstream - we're working to drain the swamp here, we're
> not interested in filling it with more crap.

Jeff we are not filling anything with crap. We are speaking about ubuntu-docs,
not GNOME or KDE docs. I don't see how this is unsupportable from a distro
perspective. Whether the packaged docs are in XML or in X/HTML makes little
difference.

We will still be working in Docbook XML in SVN, but we will be transforming to
X/HTML for packaging. To access the ubuntu-docs we would just add something
like System -> Ubuntu Docs menu option that will open our index.html
(frameset).

I wish somebody had told the docteam that you and Shaun had teamed up. As
usual the communication is poor. We have spent many good hours talking over
help viewer problems, both on the irc channel and this list. Those efforts
came to null and with no way forward, and to avoid confusion and delay, I
have taken a strategy to work around the problems.

Here is a wish list from Yelp:
1. Easily customizable main page.
2. Easily customizable gentexts.
3. Easily customizable formatting
4. Support for Glossary
5. Support for Bibliography
6. Support for Docbook Profiling
7. Support for qanda sets
8. Search and Index functionality
9. Cross Desktop inter document referencing (ghelp:) is to gnome binding
10. Support for Docbook 4.3 (mostly a scrollkeeper problem)
... others may have more, but these are our main requirements.

Shaun and I discussed these can I was not able to get any joy. Shaun does, or
did, not have the time and it was apparent that the GNOME project did not
have any use for most of the features above. I can understand their position
and could not realisticaly expect them to impliment the above just for us.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if these can be supported.

Thanks.

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author