possible documentation viewer?

Sean Wheller sean at inwords.co.za
Fri Jun 3 12:05:13 UTC 2005

On Friday 03 June 2005 13:17, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Yelp is the Ubuntu help browser.

Yes, but it only supports on-the-fly transformation of xml that conforms to
the GNOME requirements. For ubuntu-doc purposes Yelp does not support a
mountain of things and is not easily customizable. As a result we will be
transforming to X/HTML a format supported by Yelp and KHelpcenter, but we
will support viewing under any web browser.

So GNOME docs will continue to be displayed under Yelp and if the user wishes
they will also be able to view ubuntu-docs using Yelp. However, from our
perspective it would be best to provide access to ubuntu-docs under any
browser. This way we have maximum control to work around the limitations of
Yelp and can customize to user requirements.

So what we will be packaging with the distro is the X/HTML web-based
application. Users can still install the XML src if they wish, but this src
will not be directly transformable by Yelp.

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author
sean at inwords.co.za