Ideas for the new Quickguide

Sean Wheller sean at inwords.co.za
Sun Jul 31 10:13:13 UTC 2005

On Saturday 30 July 2005 20:58, Corey Burger wrote:
> I am sure some of you have seen this, but this is a good idea of what
> I think the quick guide should look like:
>
> http://www.gnome.org/~davyd/gnome-2-12/

This is the kind of stuff that should be in the Release Notes document.

If this was to become the content of a quick guide, can we really continue to
call it a quick guide. If we want a preview document, then we could do as per
this example, but I am not sure it means replacing the quick guide and
question whether or not the preview document isn't just a part of release
notes.

The original idea behind quick guide was to provide a rapid tour of the
applications with short explanations of what they are used for.

Some moons back an idea was discussed to extend this quick guide spec. The
extension intended to have tasks associated with an application listed below
or alongside the screen capture. In this way the quick guide would work
something like Localhelp.

~~~Start Topic~~~

Application Name

 Introduction para. Introduction para. Introduction para. Introduction para.
 ___________
 |               |	Doing this ...
 |               |	Doing that ...
 |               |	Doing the next thing ...
 | ________ |	Doing the following ...

~~~End Topic~~~

In this way a new user would get a tour and some helpful links to information
that would explain how to perform various tasks. The idea was to link with
FAQ and/or User Manual and/or Upstream docs.

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author
sean at inwords.co.za