Wiki Documentation

Matthew East matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com
Fri Jul 29 11:37:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 13:32 +0200, David Ottina wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 22:53 +0100, matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com
> wrote:
>
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDocumentation?action=show
> >
> > Any comments on that page, and of course help in inserting useful link, is
> > much appreciated.
>
> A vast improvement!
>
> Just a little niggle about icon usage: The 'globe' icon seems like it is
> intended to signal a link to a non-ubuntu website. Perhaps it should be
> removed from the 'About Ubuntu' and 'Glossary' links. I've noticed that
> the Ubuntu logo is sometimes used to indicate a link to another section
> on the website, perhaps that is more appropriate?
>
> More generally, the link text is often a program name, which I would
> guess works well assuming some familiarity with linux software. But if
> the page is targeted at new users, I think it might make finding things
> a bit harder. If the team thinks new users are a priority, I'd be happy
> try a bit of a reshuffle and rewording. I could do this as a text
> outline and post it to the list first.
>
> I just want to emphasize different organizations and language will favor
> different user groups, so it really does depend who the page is targeted
> at.

Thanks for these ideas: linking is something we've been struggling at
getting right so far: your efforts would really be appreciated if you
think that we can make the page (and especially the software section)
more easily understood by new users, who are indeed the main targets of
the index. Feel free to make changes directly to that page.

As for the globe icon, this comes with the wiki css supplied with the
theme and is applied to all links which are not on the wiki itself:
nothing we can do about this.