Ubuntu course material

Søren Hansen sh at linux2go.dk
Thu Jul 28 09:49:10 UTC 2005

Hi all!

I'd like to propose another project for the DocTeam: Ubuntu course
material.
I have a consulting company and I'm going to offer courses in Linux, and
I intend to release my course material under the GFDL.
I have three courses in mind:
 * Introduction to Linux on the command line
 * Linux system and network administration I
 * Linux system and network administration II

The contents of each course will be something like:

Introduction to Linux on the command line
 * Introduction to Linux
  * History
  * Philosophy
 * Files and folders
  * Ownership and privileges
  * Basic file handling (cp, rm, chmod, cat)
 * Shell expansion (wildcards, etc)
 * Useful tools
  * find
  * file
  * grep
 * Pipes and redirection
 * Editors
  * nano
  * emacs
  * vi
  * sed
 * Shell scripting
 * Process management

Linux system and network administration I
 * The system admin role
 * Users and groups
 * The login process (.profile etc.)
 * The file system hierarchy
 * Devices (/dev, lspci, lsusb)
 * Partitioning (also LVM)
  * Swap
 * Filesystems (ext[23], xfs, vfat, ntfs)
  * i-nodes and hardlinks
 * Backup concepts
 * cron
 * Boot process (inittab and /etc/rc?.d)
 * Printing (CUPS and bsd tools)
 * Software management (apt-get'n'friends)
 * Network (Ethernet and IPv4 only)
  * Interfaces
  * /etc/hosts
  * /etc/resolv.conf

Linux system and network administration II
 * IPv4 details
  * OSI
  * ARP
  * Netmask, network, broadcast and loopback addresses
 * DHCP
 * DNS
 * telnet and netcat
 * LAN equipment
  * hub
  * switch
  * router
  * firewall
  * repeater
 * ethtool
 * ifconfig
 * routing (route and iproute2)
 * iptables
 * NFS
 * LDAP
 * DNS administration
  * A
  * PTR
  * CNAME
 * DHCP administration
 * SSH administration
 * NTP administration
 * Apache administration
 * Debian repositories

Anyhow, the reason I'm bothering you with this is of course because:
1. I'd like to share the results with you
2. I'd like to get some help making this material really good!

Except the modules that are really Debian/Ubuntu specific (e.g. the
"Debian repository" one), I intend to start each module with explaining
how it works in concepts and behind the scenes and then explain how
Ubuntu handles it (the company is very Ubuntu-centric). E.g. network
configuration would start out with  ifconfig and route, and end with a
talk about /etc/network/interfaces.

One of the Danish LUG's have created a stack of Linux related books
including one about the Linux command line and one on administration, so
I'll probably be able to use some material from that, but the problem
with them is that they're meant to be used as a book not as course
material, so they're very verbose, while course material tend to be
quite terse so the participants will keep their attention aimed at the
teacher instead of reading the material.

My biggest problem right now is that I want to hold my courses in Danish
and make the course material in Danish, so I'll have to translate
everything too, but that's just life..

So, is anyone interested in working with me on this?

--
| Søren Hansen    | Linux2Go                  | http://Linux2Go.dk/ |
| Seniorkonsulent | Lindholmsvej 42, 2. TH    | +45 46 90 26 42     |