Wiki suffixes and other annoyances

Matthew East matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com
Sun Jul 17 17:48:26 UTC 2005

> -Clicking on a page in a category gets you this url:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTUGettingIntoIt?highlight=%28CategoryMOTU%29
> it should get me
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTUGettingIntoIt
> as I already known that I am looking for categoryMOTU, I just came from there

Agreed.

> -After you edit and save a page, you get:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/REVUDevelopment#preview
> I am not reviewing a page, dammit!
>
> -Then you click to get rid of the above message and get this url instead:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/REVUDevelopment?action=show
> Right!

I agree that the #preview thing is annoying but I have no problem
with ?action=show.

> -Searching highlights the term.
> This is somewhat useful, but also really annoying. Thoughts on keeping it?

I would keep it. Its quite standard.

> 2. Where you have gone track. That is what the back button my browser
> is for. Truly yes.

I use this all the time, but yes, it could be turned off by default and
activated in UserPreferences. I believe this is already reported on the
wiki suggestions page.

> 3. CamelCase and why dropping it leads to cleaner code.
> Case is point:
> CategoryDocumentation vs ["CategoryDocumenation"]
> those are actually the same thing, but it looks bad and is confusing.

Mate, repeating something over and over again is not gonna do any good
IMHO.

In general, as you know these problems need to get reported either
upstream (where they are moin feature requests or bug reports) or on the
wiki pages on our wiki that deal with that (where they are questions of
configuration of our wiki).

Matt