Fixing the FAQ guide

matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com
Wed Jul 6 13:13:24 UTC 2005

Alexander Poslavsky writes:

> matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com wrote:
>
>> Robert Stoffers writes:

>>> Sean,
>>> Yes, this also has the effect of commenting out everything with a
>>> copyright issue (such as w32codec, libdvdcss2) :)
>>

>> We really can't have reference to unofficial repositories in any
>> official guide released with the distro. That includes marillat and
>> backports (as they are now) IMO.
>>
> I saw something like this on ubuntu-users as well, but this is one of
> the main reasons people read the docs! They want to install w32codec and
> libdvdcss2.
>
> We all know why w32codec and libdvdcss2 are not in the regular
> repositories but everyone (that I know anyway) installs them anyway,as
> it is the only way to watch DVDs etc. If it is not documented how it is
> installed people will say that ubuntu is a bad distro etc and leave, or
> start looking for documentation in another place, and stop reading the
> wiki or docs on the computer.
>
> Just explaining why it is not there and how people might get it might
> make some users happy imho. These are low-hanging fruits. Easy to solve.

This is easy to solve. Not including reference to marillat does not mean
that the issue will not be documented. I would recommend something like
this:

[start]
In order to be able to play dvd's, all you need to do is to open a terminal
and type "sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh"

In order to be able to play videos encoded in non-free formats, you need to
install a package in synaptic called "gstreamer0.8-ffmpeg" from the
multiverse repository. This will allow you to play proprietary video formats
in totem. In order to play proprietary formats in mplayer, you need to
install the codecs found at
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

For any further information see the page
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats
[finish]

Obviously the language isn't right, but you get the idea. All this
information is to be found on the wiki page RestrictedFormats.

Adding non supported and incompatible repositories is simply not the correct
way to get such support.

Matt