#ubuntu-doc report for 2004-01-06

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Fri Jan 7 16:18:23 UTC 2005

#ubuntu-doc report for 2004-01-06

* Subversion behind a proxy

Plovs asked how to connect to svn through a proxy with a password.
There was no clear answer on IRC, but I found this link that may be
useful:
  http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#proxy

* Screenshots

In order to get the QuickGuide started, there has been lots of
discussion about how to take screenshots.

At first, after talking with Mako, enrico added a "Including
screenshots" section to http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/QuickGuide .

Later on, as Froud brough in new issues like print/screen quality,
themes and window decorations, the discussion evolved and Froud
eventually wrote everything into an excellent "Taking Screen Captures"
section in the http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/AboutTheUbuntuCoreDocumentationProject
wiki page.  It's especially nice the imagemagick hack that allows to
take screenshots at the desired dpi resolution.

There is also a Bugzilla entry for this: bug 5244.

And a test screenshot: http://www.inwords.co.za/test.png
It's been tested on screen and on paper, including B/W printing.

* The "About Ubuntu" page has been assimilated.  Resistance is futile.

Enrico downloaded the ubuntu-artwork package sources, extracted the
"About Ubuntu" page and committed it in the repository.

Later on, Froud and Plovs tore it apart, integrated it into the "about"
section of the existing books and setup a nice system that autogenerates
the "About Ubuntu" page from the "about ubuntu" data used in the books.

Informations about the About Ubuntu page can be found at:
  http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/AboutUbuntuPage

There is a new bugzilla entry for a make target to be created to
generate this page: Bug #5243.

* New FAQ Guide information in the wiki

Plovs added some new information about the FAQ Guide in the wiki:
  http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/FAQGuide
  https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/DocumentationTeamFAQ

* Comments are preferred to warnings

There's been a quick and easy unanimity on that it's better to do this:

  <!-- FIX ME:  I do not have hoary yet so I can not really write a
       description of the new package installer, this is just a draft.
  -->

rather than this:

  <warning>
    <para> I do not have hoary yet so I can not really write a
    description of the new package installer, this is just a draft.
    </para>
  </warning>

It makes it easy to distinguish between content and notes, and easier to
find FIXME items.  Plus, we don't risk forgetting things around and
finding them printed :)

* Adding components in bugzilla

It's been requested that we have packages in Bugzilla under the
Documentation product, one package for each of the various things we
maintain.

I'm on it!

* Packaging the FAQ Guide

Since the FAQ Guide is now complete, plovs wished for a Debian package
for it.  ChrisH offered to create the debian/ structure, plovs then
offered to maintain it so he could learn how to do the packaging thing.

sivang also offered clues on how to register the documents with
scrollkeeper and doc-base.

* Publishing HTML versions of documents

People were wondering where to publish the HTML versions of the books we
created.  I asked Mako and we're going to figure out something, probably
involving the webspace at people.ubuntu.com and some DNS alias.

* Words of wisdom

  <plovs> froud: agree, will do next time
  <plovs> i make many mistakes, but most of them only once :-)
  <froud> plovs, mistakes are good, the fater you make them the faster you learn
  <froud> faster

Ciao,

Enrico

--