[Proposal] Owner/Maintainer list (was: [proposal] Split User Guide)

Sean Wheller sean at inwords.co.za
Thu Jan 6 11:18:58 UTC 2005

On Thursday 06 January 2005 01:01, Alexander Poslavsky wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 23:57:00 +0200, Sean Wheller <sean at inwords.co.za>
> wrote:
> > 6. We should then realign ourselves so that we each know who is going to
> > take what. I envision a list of the docs and their outlines with peoples
> > names next to those sections people are or will do. Any sections without
> > an owner can then be seen as places for new contributors, or current
> > contributors who want to take on more or another section, to take
> > ownership.
>
> This is a very good idea.

Problem:
-------------
There is a need to maintain a list of who is doing what. So I make the
following proposal to maintain a document that details who is working on
what.

The problem with this is that it is labor intensive. Enrico already has his
hands full. We need to automate the procedure and distribute the workload
through the team with each person taking care of maintaining their own work
list.

Solution:
---------------
I will add a folder to SVN called housekeeping.

In this folder will be an XSL and a Makefile

The XSL will go through the document framework and retrieve information about
authors and revisions and output this to an HTML file.

Using a combination of cron and 'make' the file will be updated every X hours
and uploaded to a constant location on the web site.

In order for this to work people will have to add information to the specific
chapters or sections they are working on. This information shall be removed
using python or perl before dist. Here is a sample of what will be added:

<sect1>
        <title>Installing Packages</title>
        <authorblurb>Sean Wheller</authorblurb>
        <para>text</para>
    </sect1>

The XSL will create an HTML document with tables for each document. Cols as
follows:

Filename 					Item 				Author
chap-installremove.xml		Installing Packages		Sean Wheller

Way forward:

Authors should start adding authorblurb to the items they want to do.

Any other ideas welcome.

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author